They're heavy, and expensive, but you can carry one lens instead of three, and can vary the compression and field of view to a significant degree - from nearly normal, to long portrait focal lengths. We've selected a group of cameras that are easy to keep with you, and that can adapt to take photos wherever and whenever something memorable happens. (purchased for $900), reviewed August 22nd, 2008 The Samyang 135mm f/2 lens is very wide in astrophotography terms. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbrigham/284303834/. Only con I can think of, and that may be a big one depending on how you plan to use the lens is the lack of weather sealing. I had a 70-200 f/4 that i used unstopped at 200 with awesome results. I took a few shots with the lens on my way home after buying it. For this reason, a combination of a good light pollution filter, and the use of flat calibration frames are recommended. Amazing colours, contrast, bokeh, everything! Typical L construction. The main problem with the old lenses is spherical aberration and colour error, especially pronounced on digital sensors. In this configuration, the lens is still a very fast F3.4. My work requires auto-focus. These include canon lens for night photography along with good budget lenses for astrophotography. (on a full frame camera)Wonderful lens for some portraiture applications, sporting events and candids at a party or event. It must not be confused with the much cheaper SMC Takumar, often deceptively advertised as SMC Pentax Takumar, which has the M42 camera thread, and is plagued with unextinguishable blue chromatic aberration. I've owned nice SLR gear since 1976, and am normally a wide angle shooter this is my favorite lens, of all time. The second best, is the Hoya Pro One Digital MC UV(0) filter. To shoot indoors under typical gymnasium lighting, you often need f/2.0 or wider to get a shutter speed high enough to stop the action. Material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted or otherwise used without the prior written consent of The Imaging Resource. One of Canon's best lenses for a reasonable price. Thanks.. All content, design, and layout are Copyright 19982023 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved. (purchased for $1,000), reviewed January 1st, 2007 And you can even crop a 135 efl with today's sensors should you actually need it. These were just a tad less sharp at the corners than their Canon competition, but certainly extremely sharp all over the field if closed down one stop or even half a stop. Fantastic IQ & Bokeh. But you raise the exact point, that primes should be chosen with a 2x factor. These are affordably available on eBay, and result in perfectly round star images, the way nature intended them to be. Prime means that this lens is fixed at 135mm, it is not a zoom lens that allows for focal length adjustments. Samyang 135 f/2 astrophotography gallery Below some pictures I made using Samyang 135 lens with QHY163 mono camera and iOptron Smart EQ Pro mount. But do some experimenting before you decide. For some reason Samyang makes lenses nobody is asking for. I have the Canon 135 f/2 and loved it from day one. They create a beautiful, mesmerizing dreamscape in their photos, and their secret weapon, besides an impeccable sense for aesthetics, is the 135mm F2 lens. If you can afford it buy this lens, you will love it. That's a cheap, fun date for AP. But I hardly used it in the 30+ years. 2. Now i have the f2.8 version, and while the resolution is better it s under no circumstance as good as the f/4 one. But I sold it and went back to using a 70-200 (alongside a 24-70). When coupled with my Canon DSLR camera, the entire system weighs just over 3 pounds. Whos Afraid of a Phantom: Istar Phantom 140mm F/6.5, that is? The 135mm focal length is absolutely perfect for the Heart and Soul Nebulae if youre using a crop sensor DSLR camera. Also Nikon DC 135mm f/2 is a great lens, a little better than 135mm Canon Whats the best camera for around $2000? Were those taken with the Canon telephotos you spoke of, and the full spectrum modified camera and the clip in filter? With the 135 I imagine I'd have to get up on the roof. As you know, camera lenses come in varying focal lengths, apertures, and optical quality. Focal length: 135mm Maximum aperture: f/2.0 Lens construction: 10 elements in 8 groups Angle of view: 18 degrees Closest focusing distance: 3 feet Focus adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM Mount: Canon Filter size: 72mm Dimensions: 3.2 inches in diameter and 4.4 inches long Weight: 1.7 pounds Warranty: 1 year See more The latter are designed for crop sensor cameras and the back of the lens sticks too far into the body of the camera and would hit the EOS-clip filter. Lots of older lenses no longer satisfy. I seems many people he are confused about the meaning of the word. I got my first 400 around 50 years ago, and I must say that each step forward feels like a revolution, for a while. The Rokinon 135mm F2.0 is considered to be a full-frame lens because it can accommodate a full-frame image sensor with its 18.8-degree angle of view. Lots of wet blankets around here. f1.4 was a necessisty rather than a creative luxury. However, they can be perfectly corrected with narrow band H-alpha or OIII filters. If you can tolerate vignetting, there are many normal 35mm lenses that are great wide open. (purchased for $900), reviewed April 15th, 2011 Same thing as people mistake "shallow DOF" to blurry background. Today I want to talk about another such lens design: The 135mm F2 lens. No more inside shooting with flash! Prime lenses are typically lighter as they do not need the additional glass and mechanics required to zoom at varying magnifications. Deserves to be in the camera hall of fame. You got a criticism fine say it politely, and too the point. We revisit a classic DPReviewTV episode in which Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake shoot a few rolls of Fujifilm's Acros 100 II, and a few frames on the X-T3 in Acros film simulation, to find out. At the other end of the aperture range though, the 5D's larger pixels actually help matters, as the softening starts later (it's very sharp even at f/16), and is noticeably lower at f/32. From my purchase research, I found a consensus that stopping down optimizes sharpness but the diaphragm will make nine diffraction spikes when stopped down. You will get perfectly round star images if you use an aperture stop in front of the lens made of a series of filter thread step-down rings. Let's unbox, review and test this lens to find out why it is one of the best bang for your buck deals in astrophotography! My point is that we must never lose the joy of photography. One of the prime examples of such a design is the "nifty fifty"the 50mm F1.8 lens construction that many lens manufacturers provide. I've missed shots at wide apertures because the DOF is so extremely thin. It focuses within a blink of an eye, instantly. I cant seem to find this documented anywhere. The Olympus Zuiko 180/2.8 and 100/2.8 impressed me in the 1980s, but in the digital era they are not so sharp. Has a good weight to it. If you want the best value possible for your money, and can survive without autofocus, buy the Samyang. Be careful with the focus. Bottom line, this is just an outstanding lens by any measure, one that makes clear why you'd want to pay the freight for expensive prime glass. Really excels as indoor sports lens on a crop camera. At $900 US it a relative steal. But first, there are several general rules which must be understood. As in all arts the client's likes influence the result up to a point. Barney and Chris have been shooting the new Sony 50mm F1.4 GM, and we have a bunch of full resolution samples for you to peruse. What you need to know is the author is a hobbyist and hands his images over to px500, the bottom of the barrel so of course he is impressed, he doesnt use top flight gear day in, day out to earn his pay. when you hold the lens in your hand you know you are holding a fine peice of optical equipment. When stopped down to 37mm, F5.4, it is almost identical to the Takumar except that on highly enlarged images it shows a hint of coma in the distant corners. No telephoto lens I tested, nor my TSAPO65Q, was suitable for use with a DSLR "clear glass" modified to include deep red and IR. We have come to accept that most lenses are strong in only one or two of these three factors, that I personally focus on when researching lenses to buy. Finally, although we don't explicitly test for it, we have to note that this lens' bokeh (rendering of out-of-focus objects) is really excellent as well. Besides, adding IS would mean adding extra elements and that would very likely reduce the image quality. I shoot dozens of weddings every year but the 135mm stayed in my bag a majority of the time; I just didn't find myself needing to use it. Love the shot of the blue anemone, which also displays nice bokeh, and blur! I liked the extra versatility of the zoom and the ability to shoot at 200mm. Samyang 135mm F/2 ED UMC Review (Camera Labs), Does a F/2.0 lens become F/2.8 when used on a crop sensor camera? "If you are a Nikon user, of course have a look at the Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC and compare it to the other lenses mentioned in this article. Not only does it let you travel light, but impressive wide field projects are often more successful when captured under a dark sky. What I see is a photographer who should maybe instead stick to the kit lens, and learn composition first. Light falloff (vignetting) gets pretty high (0.73 EV wide open, but drops to 0.3 EV at f/2.8, and only 0.17 EV at f/4. (purchased for $1,000), reviewed February 4th, 2010 enlarge. this lens typifies modern design being confined to sharpness, colour & bokeh. (purchased for $800), reviewed March 15th, 2010 Of course headline central sharpness is great, that is what grabs headlines, always shot at f2: any 135mm lens is going to give similar results. At f/32, it's pretty soft, but less so than a lot of lenses at that aperture. Please send your photos of the Andromeda galaxy. I bought a Fotasy Minolta MD->EOSM adapter off ebay for $11, and then for about $20 each on craigs list really sharp, well built Minolta MC 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and 135mm f2.8 lenses that turned out to be great for astrophotography. It has no chromatic aberration, and no hint of star deformities in the corners. (purchased for $899), reviewed December 9th, 2006 However, when my Canon "L" lenses are used at f8 they are all very sharp and the 135L does not blow the others away. Its nice to have the F/2. Sharp but smooth at the same time. Super sharp from f2. (Actually if I can live with the DoF I prefer it to my 85/1.2 too, as there is much less bonus colour.) Sure, that would be swellbut it doesn't matter with regard to how it performs. I would like to make this work with the Nikkor 180mm ED (i.e., what I have versus what I cannot havelol). Really, just an amazing lens, easily worth the $800-900 it commands on the street. I would recommend buying it used if you want to save some money, with the added benefit that you can re-sell it at the same price as you bought it for, effectively giving you the opportunity to "rent it" for free. I bought it for its bokeh. Far from being a generic run-of-the-mill image hosting website, it was created and is still operated by an astrophotographer, and boasts features that are very specific to astrophotography. Is this Nikon already, Astro modified, without need for H alpha filters or any further modifications? Please re-enable javascript to access full functionality. Latter looks quite professional.. I'll walk you through all this inc. Star parties or dark sky excursions are another great time to use a camera lens in place of the telescope. Especially for beginning astrophotographers, who should first invest most of their finances into a good telescope mount, telephoto lenses are an excellent and affordable solution. How well do Fujifilm's film simulations match up to their film counterparts? There was no reason to test any other because, when stopped down to 49mm, F6.1, this lens is simply perfect, comparable to any APO on the market. Jordan's twin brother Gordon is back to review the cinema-focused Canon EOS R5 C! The diameter of the lens is 77mm, with a non-rotating filter mount on the objective lens. You just panned the subject for his photos and then turn around and needle thematic for looking into Ericsson. I had of course heard that this lens is supposed to be very sharp, but I had never before had such a full blown "wow" experience when reviewing the sharpness of a lens. The Andromeda Galaxy using the Rokinon 135mm F/2.0 ED UMC lens. The Canon 135mm f/2 is no less impressive on a full-frame camera. Sharp without being harsh. BTW, the 300-mm Tele-Tessar you describe -- what camera was it made for? To prevent damage to the lens finish, apply nylon acorn nuts (or cap nuts) to the tips of the retaining ring's three alignment screws. Please re-enable javascript to access full functionality. Is there a reason why a 135/2.8 or even 135/4 would provide significantly different images? So, let's see where it falls short of perfection: This lens provides all of these requirements. This criticism refers to rare cases when your main subject matter is flat and completely inside the limited DOF range while the rest of the image is outside. And they like circles (no ellipses or polygons) and smooth colour (no hard edges, no onion rings). I owned this lens for a long time, then traded it for the 70-200 2.8IS II. Available Monday. This is a very practical way to plan your next astrophotography project, and especially handy when using a wide field lens like the Rokinon 135mm F/2. Still, what a time to be an enthusiast/photog, so many nice options. I think the readers would welcome contributions from other members' experiences. Sometimes though, we stumble upon a great lens design which is strong in all three. This is great news if you like to photograph small things up close. Astrophotography is one of the ultimate tests of lens quality, as long exposure photography of deep-sky objects in space can highlight issues that are hidden during daytime photography. Andysea, those are great images on your website. You currently have javascript disabled. It turns out that this. I do not presume to further decorate the universe, and perceive them for what they are: interference. The Rokinon 135mm F/2 ED UMC lens. I also find the other photos not very good. Simple fact is the Samyang 135/2 is a remarkably good lens for the price, and it offers a set of optical characteristics that typically cost 2-4x more. It seems lazy to me. in the rain. [emailprotected]. Otherwise, on FF body this lens is wonderful. Off topic, The reason the 135mm lens was that it was the longest lens that would focus with a Leica rangefinder. I've seen several listed but here are more to consider. Check out some of the photos he took. 10/10 (Editor's Choice) Check Price. Film Friday: DPRTV reviews Fujifilm's Acros II film, Fujifilm launches Instax Mini 12 instant camera, DPReview March Madness, vote for your champions, Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM sample gallery (DPReview TV), OM System M. Zuiko 90mm F3.5 Macro sample gallery, Live from Japan: Highlights from CP+ 2023, Retro Review: 24 years later, the Sony F505 is still pretty cool, Hands on with the OM System M. Zuiko 90mm F3.5 Macro, New FAA rules make it easier for recreational drone pilots to fly in restricted US airspaces, Leica marks James Bond's 60th* with a special edition D-Lux 7, Film Friday: A closer look at the Pentax KX, an original K-mount SLR, Blackmagic Design announces a new Studio Camera 6K Pro, National Geographic selects Pictures of the Year photo contest winner, Sigma brings DC DN APS-C primes to Nikon Z-mount, Panasonic Lumix S 14-28mm F4-5.6 Macro sample gallery, Tamron announces 11-20mm F2.8 ultra-wide zoom for Fujifilm X-mount, Film Friday: DPReview TV steps back in time to shoot APS film, Finer Points: Here's an easy way to improve video autofocus, DPReview TV: One simple fix to improve video autofocus, Head-to-head: Adobe Super Resolution vs. ON1 Resize AI vs. Topaz Labs Gigapixel AI, Waiting for the fishy in the little dishy by Gil Aegerter, Lava Lizard on Marine Iguana by ZimmWisdom. (purchased for $650), reviewed June 6th, 2008 I love the lens for my modified Sony a6000! (37% is difference, so you get little more, about 15.5Mpix) ". The 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC Lens from Samyang is a manual focus telephoto prime lens useful for portraiture and most telephoto applications. Testing on an EOS-5D, we see that it's sharpness is almost as good wide open in the corners as on the EOS-20D with its smaller sensor. They account for much of the disagreement that we see on-line (but not for the rudeness and viciousness of some of it). You will see why. (purchased for $860), reviewed March 9th, 2017 Some people may disagree with the vignetting being a good thing or not, but thats a matter of taste I guess. The moment I tried the Samyang 135mm F2 for the first time after purchasing it, I immediately felt that it was a very special lens. Great question Scott I think it depends on the image. As you'd expect from a premium prime lens, both maximum and average chromatic aberration is very low across the aperture range, with the maximum CA on the order of 0.02% of frame height regardless of aperture. It is good to know that the 200/4 SMC Takumar is good. Unfortunately, standard photography lenses are generally poorly corrected for CA at the red end of the spectrum, relying on the human eye's poorer resolution in red than green or blue. Voting ends March 8, 2023. The 135mm f2.8 in particular can take amazing photos of the brighter deep sky objects with about 1 second time . F2 allows higher shutter speeds in lower light without raising the ISO. That whole rig comes to about $1200, minus the mount. Read on to find out which you should be using and why! I was blown away when I loaded the photos into my computer. SIx months on from buying it this has become my favourite lens ever, beating my previous favourite (Leica's 4th version of the 35mm Summicron for its M-series rangefinders). Images that sing. For portraits and with a high MP body I'd be more inclined than ever to just go 85mm, and for other uses it's hard to pass up the zooms' versatility, but I still there's still room for 135s in some kits and some formats. When you buy a lens with fantastic sharpness and image quality at all apertures, you typically expect it to cost $1,200 on up. Since Eric was so generous to share his images with me, I had to include his photo of the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex as well. Crazy fast AF! Asahi Optical's Pentax KX was one of the first cameras with this lens mount, acting as a midrange model in the lineup. OK guysTOS rule number one "Posts that are not respectful of other individuals (be they members or not) are not welcome here.". The best of them, Nikon's 70-200E, is just as sharp all but the very best primes - ie, already too sharp for most portrait work. To achieve creamy bokeh, a lens should have a wide maximum aperture and a long focal length. But for me, the reason to get this lens is the Bokeh and DOF control. Second night out with mine right now and I am here in the comments looking for the part number or link! Thomas, I do have no experience with the Canon lens you mentioned but zoom lenses have limitations concerning aberrations while providing more flexibility.The Nikkor 70-200/4 that I like as a travel lens is a very good performer but the Zeiss 135/2 APO is in a different league. But, since fast 300mm ED lenses are beyond my toy budget, I would appreciate seeing magnified center and corner test images of actual star fields. Built quality is wonderful, focus ring is well-damped. The one and only 300mm lens I tested is the Zeiss Tele-Tessar 300mm F4. I would only recommend this lens for casual photographers where missed shot means nothing. In this buying guide we've rounded-up several great cameras for shooting sports and action, and recommended the best. Also, the lens can only be operated when aperture is set to 22, wondering how I could use F2. Another example is the 100mm (or sometimes 90mm) F2.8 macro lens. Could use a few updates. This is a stunning lens, clearly one of the very best lenses that Canon produces, this is in the same world class as the 35 1.4, 85 1.2 L lenses. Available in other Styles, Configurations & Kits. So.. its like there is one F stop not being used by the lens..how do you know what click is for what F stop?? Show some humility and don't troll. Often need f2.2 to f2.8 to gain sufficient DOF for human subjects. The lens has 14 stops when turning the aperture. This lens is simply lighter, cheaper & faster (f/2.0 vs f/2.8). - in my subjects' skin. The Canon is about as sharp as the Samyang, but it has some very slight chromatic aberration. I speak Japanese fluently, was a translator in Tokyo for 8 years and studied photography there for two years. The focuser adjustment ring on the Rokinon 135mm F/2 is excellent, but fine-tuning your critical focus on a bright star at F/2 will take some trial and error to get right. Thanks Gary! Click on following link to view images Sme of the wide field are. Its a joy to work with every time. Its fast f/2.0 maximum aperture is effective in low light and enables shallow depth of field control. It is the lens I use as a reference point to compare all new lens acquisitions to after purchase to determine if they need to be returned for repair or replacement. $399 00. I just wish this lens had IS for low light and portraits with flash. Image quality, weight and value for money. My goal for this article was to show some great example photos and share some ideas for projects this lens is a good fit for. Wonderful, smooth bokeh. http://www.idyll.com/135. The interest of a f/1.4 is to be able to be perfect at f/2.8, while a f/1.8 or f/2 might need to be on f/4 to have the same sharpeness and overall IQ.They are not meant to be used wide open, except in rare moments. They seem to be really good for NB work. Begun in 1975, the Pentax K-mount legacy continues to this day. if you compare images taken with this lens to those from a 105mm f1.8 ais or a cosina 125mm and you'll see what i mean. Nikon 300/4 ED IF, Sigma 50/2.8 DG Macro (not a telephoto, but good). (For Nikon users there's the new 105mm too.). About 3 hours of exposures split between Narrowband, Broadband and short exposure shots to make an HDR image. Hi Trevor, The Sadr Region in Cygnus, including the Crescent Nebula by Eric Cauble. The 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.2 is another story.While the 135mm f/2, in general, is a good lens, there are lots of lenses other than the 135 f/2 that will produce a very smoothly blurred background, including zoom lenses.It sounds like Micael is new to photography.Just my impression from this article. 135mm F2.0 The optical design includes one extra-low dispersion lens element to control chromatic aberration, contributing to sharp, color-accurate imaging, and each of its lens elements features Ultra Multi-Coating to improve light transmission and reduce ghosting and flare. 8MP is plenty for the usual 8x10 or 16x20 portrait print. " It is really thanks to another commentator pointing out something that finally makes sense out of this mess: This article is by someone who just got his first first telephoto ever, and is writing about how he feels when he is trying it out. Did anybody use this lens for DSLR astrophoto? Just place your subject against a distant background, and half of the job is done. Beautiful portrait lens. Just plain black plastic (no interior felt as in newer lens hoods). Chris referred to the Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM as 'a little gem'! Is it possible to get good results on a Baader filter modifed Canon 450D and a good telephoto lens, or do I need to get a good APO? Several functions may not work. Excellent build quality, fast auto focus, and its fast. Sigma 105/2.8 DG EX Macro (very sharp at infinity) These capable cameras should be solid and well-built, have both the speed and focus to capture fast action and offer professional-level image quality. But that 10Mpix is more than enough to make a very good A3-A2 size print, but your technique needs to be very good as even slight misfocus is even more visible and the rendering faults as well.
What Do Japanese Restaurants Say When You Leave, Johnnie Harris Mississippi State Salary, Trevor Dion Nicholas Partner, Articles C