Weve turned the spotlight on these teens of Chinle High with hoop dreams. They see that we can overcome our own obstacles, then they can relate to their own obstacles and know for a fact they can overcome, if they put their minds to it.. The Holbrook Roadrunners was the only boys team from Navajo that made it to the semis, and it played its hardest against the Coolidge Bears. As a Native American, we do not always have the most exposure or opportunities, however I feel like if I can excel in the classroom and on the court, it will allow more doors to be opened to play basketball beyond high school. Navajo Times | Cyrus NorcrossChinle Lady Wildcat Ashlyn Lynch (10) goes for the layup during the semi-finals match up against Bourgade Catholic Golden Eagles at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Feb 25. Its a school, its a hospital, I dont want to say its a church, but a place of healing, Martin said. I am capable of working with others and have filled in as a leader on and off the court. d&:WD fF Cooper has always put school first in everything he does. The Wildcat Den at Chinle High School is arguably the largest one in town, the 7,500-seat arena that is home to Chinle basketball. Being at an apartment for school, has be aching to go home. With its tall players and confident zeal, the Bears quickly got off to an 8-0 lead before Quentin Thomas made Holbrooks first basket. Basketball Essentials - Goodson, Ryan 2016-07-26 According to McCurtain, this is the first time the Chinle girls made it to the championship game and the team is feeling excited about it. Perseverance has long been demanded of this community. The woman is the head of the family, and clans extend far beyond their direct household bloodlines. I want a copper Burbank tee shirt. To see Shaun Martin kind of be like a father figure to these kids and get to meet the parents and see how resilient they are as they play in the role of these kids lives, he said. Im still finding ways to improve myself. This was a great opportunity to grow and develop more. Since the series has come out, Burbank said. The Wildcat Den at Chinle High School is arguably the largest one in town, the 7,500-seat arena that is home to Chinle basketball. Following the release of the documentary, Mendoza received requests to coach students as far away as Eastern Europe and students who were willing to travel to the reservation and be a Wildcat. As far as I know, that was a top competitor, so having Basketball or Nothing up there competing with that to win the award is amazing, he said. She understands the magnitude of rez balls return, of the Wildcat Den reopening, and prays her athletes do, too. When Howley first read the story about rezball, read about the intensity of the games, the thousands of people who would come to watch and how a community rallied for their young athletes, he knew it was something he wanted to share. Photo courtesy of Jalen Johnson A lone central two-lane highway leads in and out of the town. The Roadrunners lost the semi-final match up 37-64. The school's Division III basketball teams, known as the Wildcats, play in the Wildcat Den, a large arena seating 6,000 people. Normally he would be up actively communicating with them. He came off the bench the first few games and played well. Alchesay continued to steal the ball and it continued to push forward. Mendoza was the last to join his mens team on the court. The sports docu-series follows the Wildcats a basketball team from Chinle High School in Arizonas Navajo Nation on their journey to become a state championship-winning team. I enjoyed how he played, and to make it better, he was wearing number 10. With him, anything is possible to me, and therefore I go about knowing I can be and do anything. Club: Northern Elite Height: 6'4" Weight: 180 Age: 21 Prim. Cooper was in one of my groups. Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Football Soccer Wrestling. Posted by Chance Harvey onSaturday, June 29, 2019. In the 1950s, Chile had one of the finest national basketball teams in the world. From there our relationship has grown on and off the court., When Cooper was a sophomore I knew then he was a great basketball player, but I didnt think he could continue to be greater. Those traumas date back as early as the 1500s, when Spanish explorers began encroaching on Navajo land. On his Facebook, he mentions hes working been working at local clothing stores. He played his final high school game as a Wildcat at the Northland Basketball All-Star Game before graduating in 2018. And weve scoured the internet but cant seem to find any trace of Cooper on Twitter. When Cooper plays its like hes in a mindset of his own, he knows what hes going to do and how he is going to execute it. His basketball idols include Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant. It is affiliated to FIBA, under the zone confederation of FIBA Americas . We also told players that they need to study players, the coaches and plays, that basketball is much bigger than they think., I know I need a strong base of strength, said Cooper. vs. Bluefield University. Her fathers legacy and mothers impact lives on in her passion for coaching rez ball. 2 talking about this. Informacin detallada del sitio web y la empresa: ltbasketball.com, +15122171350, +16806221021 Lake Travis High School Men's Basketball The areas the school serves are within the Navajo Nation. The pandemic was hard on the community. 2. Varsity Boys Basketball Chinle, AZ School Hub Clubhouse Schedule Roster Coaches JV Team Freshman Team An ad blocker has likely prevented this video content from loading. He led Chinle HS to a 20-12 record and a Sweet 16 berth in the 2019-20 Arizona 3A state tournament. About. Kylen lives close to the school in teacher housing with McCurtain and his four younger siblings. She commutes at least an hour and a half roundtrip every day from her home in Tsaile. 2 HERE: Watch THATCHER VS SHOW LOW Girls 3A State Basketball Round 2 Game Here: Watch BLUE RIDGE at SNOWFLAKE Girls and Boys Basketball Here: Watch SHOW LOW VS SNOWFLAKE 3A State Round 1 Basketball Game Here. Mendoza expressed surprise when he heard the documentary won the award. My father and my mother were the ones who taught me a lot of the game. Coach Raul Mendoza praised Cooper Burbanks talent from the outset. His work ethic paid off that he shot 48% from inside the arc, 39% from beyond the arc and shot 84% from free throw line in his high school career.. I challenge myself to stay ahead of my studies and do what I can to not fall behind. It was different for Mendoza. Now, I am able to still be in good shape as this pandemic is taking place.. The Wildcat Den at Chinle High School is arguably the largest one in town, the 7,500-seat arena that is home to Chinle basketball. @E?{EwScT|uws'9rWoD9KcO.].K3IPus/ }A endstream endobj 1 0 obj <> endobj 4 0 obj <>stream Out of 33 games, they only lost 6. He played in various tournaments that summer and was playing with the varsity team by the end of the summer. GRV Media Ltd, 18 Mulberry Avenue, Widnes. When I figured that he was ready to play at the varsity level, I pulled aside and asked him how he felt about playing with the older players for the rest of the summer. [3] 99% of the students are Native Americans, mainly Navajo. A documentary series about the Chinle High School basketball team, a small-town high school team with a passionate fan base on the Navajo Nation in northeastern Arizona, made its debut Friday, Aug . There were a couple of moments we fell asleep but theyre really good when they want to play and when they play like that theyre tough. Chinle, Alchesay girls to meet in 3A state title game - Navajo Times Chinle, Alchesay girls to meet in 3A state title game Previous Down to the wire: Crownpoint boys edge Navajo Prep for. Due to federal privacy regulations, we are not able to create an athlete profile for students under 13 years old. Chinle boys are the #10 seed and play Wednesday the 19th vs #23 River Valley at 7pm. Before playing in the Wildcat Den, the teams played at the 1,000-seat Chinle Community Center. He understood this because we coached him before and that is what we always emphasized to our players. Auraria is located in central Denver. He showed a lot of maturity that he never tried to do more than what he was capable. Time is gonna heal us, Chinle womens basketball coach Francine McCurtain said. He does what he has to around the house. Numerous tribe members were murdered and forced to retreat to the aptly named Massacre Cave. During the summers, Id be around him most of the time in the gym, weight room, team tournaments, and practices. I grew up watching my dad play in tournaments and watched the competitive nature he had in him, said Cooper. So in basketball, whenever it would get tough, I remember why I play. Cooper Burbank (Navajo): The 2020 Navajo Times Co-Player of the Year and Netflix Star, MorningRose Tobey (Assiniboine/Sioux): Hopes and Dreams Alive After Playing Basketball at the University of Nevada and Fort Lewis College, USC forward Alissa Pili (Inupiaq) selected as a Fab 15 Freshman by Her Hoop Stats , Lindy Waters III (Kiowa/Cherokee) reacts to signing NBA contract, Lexy Keys (Cherokee) Led Oklahoma State with 13 Points as Cowgirls Split Season Series with West Virginia, Aspen Willistons (Choctaw) 12 Points, 17 Rebounds Helps UCO Advance in MIAA Conference Tournament, Raequan Battle (Tulalip Tribe) adds 16 Points as Montana State Tops Eastern Washington, 79-74, Jacinta Buckley(Spokane Tribe) Earned her 11th career double-double as EWU Wins at Montana State, Josie Hill (Sisseston-Wahpeton) Scored 10 Points and Pulled Down 9 Rebounds for Chicago State in Win over Hartford, Justin Hemphill (Seneca Nation) Earns Second-Straight ECC Defensive Player of the Week Honor, Aidan Thomas (Laguna Pueblo) Strong Start Leads NM State at Lake Las Vegas Intercollegiate, Oklahoma City Thunder Sign Lindy Waters III (Kiowa/Cherokee) to Two-Year Deal, Kryslyn Jones(Seminole/Creek) Led Missouri Southern With a Season-High 22 points in Win over NW Missouri State, Mason Archambault (Standing Rock Sioux) Added 13 Points on Senior Night as South Dakota Finishes off UMKC, Lanae Billy(Navajo) had her 22nddouble-digit outing for Fort Lewis College to close out her first season, Treysen Eaglestaff (Sioux) Drops 13 Points as Hawks Close Out Regular Season with Win over St. Thomas, Elease Stafford (Navajo) Drops 20 Points for Kansas City who Fall to South Dakota, 74-73. Aging buildings face east to celebrate the sunrise and rebirth of a new day, much the way the homes of their ancestors did for generations. He averages 21.4 points per game and is instrumental in Chinles 18-4 record this season. Get Discovered by college coaches. However, the Lady Golden Eagles rallied in the second quarter and started chasing Chinle. Since the start of the 2018 to 2019 season, the Chinle Wildcats were been back and better than ever. He said: Hes one of those kids that youll probably see every ten years as a coach or maybe not at all Hes going to be the GOAT of Chinle, he has that potential. That feels really good hearing that, that we have such a big impact on other people besides those within our nation. We always told him that he needed to learn to play with many type of players, that he has much to learn from others as they can learn from him as well.. Standard rates apply. He became a starter about a third into the regular season and he was the second leading scorer on the team with about 10 points per game., After his freshman year, he led the team in scoring with 18.6 ppg, 20.6 ppg and 21.7 as well in rebounding through his high school career at Chinle HS, said Coach Raul. The series follows the 2018 basketball team at Chinle High School, based in Arizonas Navajo Nation. (Photos by Gabrielle Ducharme/Cronkite News), Native American Groups Address Mental and Behavioral Health as Covid-19 Wears On, Solutions and Struggle: Covid Relief Highlights Complexity of Issues Facing Native People, Time, Tradition and Trust: The Navajo Nation Takes on Climate Change, Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. We knew what to expect, it was just us executing our strategies and playing together, McCurtain said. They didn't mind too much when they finished in a tie with Chinle for third behind Monument Valley and Window Rock with a 6-6 record. Since the day he stepped on campus, Burbank has proven hes a player like no other. His parents are proud, and they definitely should be. It is shaped like a hogan the traditional dwelling of the Navajo people with doors facing east to welcome in sunlight, the rebirth of a new day. Alchesay was the 2A state champ in 2019 and they sat idle last season due to COVID as a 3A division member. Practice can start as early as 6 a.m. Games can end as late as 10 p.m. Whoops! So that was probably one of the things that made it more special, the way it is and just being I mean me working with the kids is hard, how difficult it is for them to make it to school each day and being able to succeed in the classroom and being able to play basketball and also the aspect about their support, he said. What many think sold the documentary, what led to the documentary of the year award, were the kids, the Chinle basketball team. vs Alchesay. Were sorry, you have to be 13 years old The series follows coach Raul Mendoza as he tries to take the Chinle Wildcats a basketball team from the Navajo Nation to the championships and beyond. What caught my attention was how advanced his skills were at the age he was at. Roughly 40% do not have access to internet, or electricity and running water, said Chinle Athletic Director Shaun Martin. He came out to the Navajo Nation in 2017 and met with Martin, Superintendent Quincy Natay and coach Raul Mendoza (who was featured in the article Howley had read). They played great, Sanchez said. Cooper is always seeking knowledge about the game. McCurtain is a physical education teacher, basketball coach and mother of five, including two Chinle players: son Kylen and daughter Qoah Yazzie. On Friday evening, the 3A state semifinal games were decided for both boys and girls. Shaun Martins office sits at the front corner of Chinle High School, down the street from the Navajo Nation hospital that serves his community. Basketball Or Nothing: Meet coach Raul Mendoza background, career and more, 2023 GRV Media Ltd. All Rights Reserved. The film was chosen as the best sports documentary at the 11th Annual Realscreen Awards ceremony. They rely heavily on a small lineup dominated by guard play. On this night, the mens and womens teams take the court to cheers from community members socially distanced in the upper levels. And it makes me realize, why Im in that scenario, added Cooper. Rezball 33m Used to playing a looser style called "rezball," Chinle players try to adjust to coach Raul Mendoza's more structured system as the season approaches. The network is available to high school student-athletes around the country through valued relationships with the NFLPA, FBU, NFCA and SPIRE. Chinle Basketball OVERALL 19-12 0.61 Win % SECTION 10-5 2nd 3A North HOME8-4 AWAY11-6 NEUTRAL0-2 PF2028 PA1691 STREAK2L Contribute to the Team Complete the Schedule Add missing games to the schedule Complete the Roster Add missing athletes to the roster Add a Team Photo Give fans a look at the team Post a Video Fresh. Johnson said theyll have a lot of returning players next year, but they will need to work hard to get back to the final four and the championships. Welcome back to the Wildcat DEN, he shouts. What Happens When a College Town Loses Its College? The Wildcats defeated the Golden Eagles in the close match up 49-42. Now that I am, I get to do more things. They raised a well-mannered and humble young man. And basketball is one of those things that can heal us, too.. h2S0Pw/ x}q{}E!39|@D)qg`K[s@ 3+QlH#Qy:="3=32/?=O??xc?NjQ^={m]:rzOU>#O|]o"Z}t>`NH)yx8.@Z?WTxtx= !Zcr` e.{gE!U[@kuoo- Coop continues to play with this team for about six years now. I find myself watching old game film as if Im still in the season. This is a story that director and producer Matthew Howley wanted to share when he first heard about the Navajo Nation when he read a New York Times article about rezball, and the community that surrounded it. I wish there were more young men in the world like Cooper Burbank. The district anticipated spending $20,000,000 on a 1,500-student facility, with funds from the Apache County government and taxes being used to fund the remainder of the facility.[4]. His faith is strong. His parents are Darrick and Joni Allen-Burbank and they live in Rock Point, AZ. Tom fought hard to earn playtime and be named a starter. According to information you submitted, you are under the age of 13. Basketball helps the Tribe come back to normal, but Covid-19 still casts a long shadow. Theres a lot of hardships out here on the Navajo Nation thats not seen up in the cities, he said. Thats his mentality, and hes never satisfied where he is at now. As a Native American, I think many people could relate to the story that we shared in the series, he said. search for recruits on NCSA's platform 741,611 times in 2021. Its a special place with a special group of people and I hope that people fell in love with some of the characters there because when you meet a kid like Josiah Tsosie or Chance Harvey or Cooper Burbank away from the camera, Howley said, I personally find them just so easy to root for and cheer for and that was our goal, to present them in that way so that you can see Josiah Tsosie and say, I hope he makes it, and he ends up going away to college. This point guard may not be as tall as his teammates, but hes an invaluable player and a dual-threat as a track and field star. Brenen Jishie graduated in 2018 and his current college plans are unknown. . You are your mothers clan first, then your fathers clan, Martin said. By submitting, you agree to receive personalized follow-up and marketing messages from NCSA by email, phone and automated text. JV Var. Burbank and the rest of his former teammates spread the word of the award through social media, sharing the original post from The WorkShop Content Studios, which created Basketball or Nothing., Overall, I thought that was awesome, Burbank said. He always reminded me, but let me know it wont be easy and Id have to work for it. We played Chinle before, its going be a lot of fun, Sanchez said. Meanwhile, Ashlyn Lynch made steals and snuck in a basket before the Lady Golden Eagles saw her. It sat idle from March 2020 to November 18 while the city was on lockdown due to COVID-19. Because we can show the Native American perspective of basketball. [5][6] It was built in 2006 at a cost of $23 million and is described by The Arizona Republic sports columnist Richard Obert as "the best high school arena in Arizona". Coach Rick Destea offered Cooper a spot on the team and Cooper took the spot willingly. Navajo traditions preach living in a Matriarchal society, where family lineage is passed down through the mother, rather than the father. It was very real.. Chinle Wildcats Basketball 2021-2022 DATE OPPONENT SITE GIRLS BOYS Fresh. Holbrook remained relentless throughout, but it had trouble making its shots and finding openings while Alchesay took full advantage of its free throws and enjoyed the occasional 3-pointer. I make sure to stay true to myself always and not be who I know Im not. I do my best to thrive as an individual as well as a teammate. Though the youngest on Basketball or Nothing,he was named a sophomore captain and has been a consistent presence in the starting lineup. Contact. Winning the award is an achievement that Shaun Martin, Chinle Highs athletic director, said is something that all Navajo should be proud of. Chinle Comprehensive Health Care Facility Leadership Chief Executive Officer: Darlene Chee, MHA (928) 674-7805 Health System Administrator Perry Francis (928) 674-7587 Clinical Director: Christopher Jentoft, MD, (928) 674-7019 Chief Nurse Executive Johanna Bahe (928) 674-7576 Director Quality Management Monica Tallis-Jones, RN (928) 674-7757 I know its because I wanted to do it. Instead, it stripped over 90 million acres of tribal land from Native Americans. Cooper entered Chinle High School in the fall of 2016-2017, the summer before his freshman year, and he started off season practice with Coach Raul Mendoza. I want to be the teammate that individuals want to be on the same team with. Listen to the 3A Girls State Championship Game SHOW LOW vs ALCHESAY Here: Watch The 3A State Semi-finals CHINLE VS SHOW LOW and ALCHESAY VS WINDOW ROCK Here: Watch Girls 3A Quarterfinals SNOWFLAKE vs ALCHESAY and SHOW LOW vs YUMA CATHOLIC Here: Watch SNOWFLAKE VS ALA IRONWOOD 3A STATE BASKETBALL RD. Being away from the weight room, I felt was a factor lost from this. It sat idle from March 2020 to Nov. 18 while the city was on . They have to feed the livestock and then chop wood for warmth, before they sit down and feed themselves, as a 10-year-old. Thatcher defeated Chinle in the opening round of the 3A State Boys Basketball Championship playoffs 83-64 but fell in the next round to eventual 3A State Champion Valley Christian, 36-79. . Cooper Burbank, #10, Is the Wildcats Captain Height: 6'1" Sophomore Advertisement Centered - Anthony Ianni 2021-09-07 And everyone will triumph in the achievements of Centered. Its like the heart of the Navajo Nation here, McCurtain said. Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland. I do so by communicating with my parents, teachers, mentors, classmates, teammates and my friends. The Roadrunners struggled to keep up, never slowing down and continuing the battle. at. The sports docu-series follows the Wildcats - a basketball team from Chinle High School in Arizona's Navajo Nation - on their journey to become a state championship-winning team. Kylen and Ashley left the court in March 2020 as sophomores, and are returning as seniors expected to lead their young and inexperienced teams while healing their community through basketball. The two are using basketball as a means to fulfill educational dreams, the way Martin hopes all students will. I think a lot of people dont know a lot about the Navajo Tribe or the culture or what they do and the different parts of the show gives a glimpse of what the Navajo Tribe goes through and the way life is on the reservation, Mendoza said. at 866-495-5172 to learn more. Off it, hes a cowboy who spends his time on his grandparents ranch. But with my belief of there are always a way, I was able to find old weights around our land. He also praised Jenieth Sanchez for playing strong defense and offense. Its built into our cultures to just have positive, competitive environments where were celebrating not only our kids, but other communities.. Its a new world and the future is bright when Native American youth like our kids are mentioned in the same sentences as Michael Jordan, D. Wade and Lance Armstrong, Martin said. The games were scrimmages, so the teams did not keep score, but it did not matter to Chinle, which always applied full court pressure, always played fast. Navajo Times | Cyrus NorcrossHolbrook Roadrunner Noheah Aberle (42) attempts a shot during the match up against the Alchesay Falcons on Feb 26. From paintings of Canyon De Chelly on each side of the basketball court to the wildcat in a small circle on the side of stands, it was planned with purpose. Being a team captain for a few years has helped me gain leadership skills and the willing to help others be better. The Netflix series profiles a high school basketball team on the Navajo Nation town of Chinle, Ariz., a community made particularly vulnerable to the pandemic by poverty and a lack of basic services. Watch The 3A State Semi-finals CHINLE VS SHOW LOW and ALCHESAY VS WINDOW ROCK Here: TOPICS: 3A State Basketball Alchesay Basketball Chinle Basketball Cougar Basketball Falcon Basketball Girls Basketball High School Sports Broadcasting Scout Basketball Show Low Basketball State Semi-finals Wildcat Basketball Window Rock Basketball National Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Washington, D.C. Florida. b52V6BOB+VP^nZZj ljI)r"2E,(^Rg|Gd8VtOb-M|c52[-]VCs%8&4uh%!]+=$-Mlb"%[-wtIEsFA:9 |q( '6DBIj :J.,)6D5jI) "tehb Z.>V$jI:%,"BG-\-;Q!Blw>guaAMZd"(1r%VK;Jbk!6S]PBx,)v$> KbQ{f L|jIbIcfjs"> o&An.CD7?fuaS@R%#t-w)gb%`s@N,)6Dc-4ZRl He played in one tournament with the junior varsity team and I noticed that his game was well beyond his peers. Netflix continues its run of gripping sports documentaries with its latest offering, Basketball or Nothing, which premieres on August 2, 2019. sits Chinle High School. Having our kids get on a bus at 5:30 in the morning, 70 miles up the road, just to get here in the morning to go to school, builds resilience, Martin said. Eventually when the season started in the winter, he made the varsity team. nike giannis immortality basketball shoes; spectrum mobile savings calculator; landstar load board free; 3bd house for rent near me; flylinktech car jump starter 2500a . Central Coast Section basketball playoffs begin this weekend across six divisions, including Open SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA - FEBRUARY 9: Archbishop Riordan's Brendan Passanisi-Boullett (31) controls. WATCH BASKETBALL OR NOTHING SEASON 1 ON NETFLIX NOW, SUBSCRIBE AND READ THE NEW REALITY TITBIT MAGAZINEHERE, Screenshot: Basketball Or Nothing S1 E1 - Netflix. Box Score Recap Marshall 72, Duquesne 71 Book (PDF) D'Antoni Press Conference Marshall Quotes History. The Roadrunner, however, made massive gains with Spencer making a basket and Raelle Yazzie hitting two 3-pointers, trailing four points at halftime. Contact. He is now playing basketball for Pima Community College. There, I watched a player named Aaron Husen. Chinle, Fort Defiance Window Rock and Whiteriver Alchesay have all acknowledged they have canceled the winter basketball seasons. Non-native kids will be a lot more readable as far as body language and emotions.. Have something to tell us about this article? It is an emotion. The Wildcats count on Lewis to ease any nervous tension with his sense of humor. With baskets from Noah Brown and a 3-pointer from Brandon Tapaha and Caden Tom, the Roadrunners closed in on Coolidge 23-21. profiles were viewed 4.1 million times by college coaches in 2021.